Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cookie Day is coming again

Cookie day is Nov 22 this year. I have been convinced to cut back to 15 types of cookies...I think it might actually stick this time around--I just haven't had time to look up new recipes. Most everything we're doing is tried and true...only one new recipe--for Almond Snaps, which I gather are thin round cookies that we roll around a tube while they're warm. My mom picked up the tubes at a garage sale so we wanted to try them to see if they were worth keeping. I'll try to come back and post the recipe since I don't have it in front of me at the moment. Obviously I'm not much of a blogger though!
I have not baked for the soldiers since the spring. I really want to get back to it but things have been a bit crazy. Randy and I still live in two houses, Randy is still unemployed and furiously working at any free-lance work he can get. He has had an number of audio projects lately though--almost more than he can handle! Which is cool but it makes our time together even more scarce! I had a death in my family last month and spent four days in Georgia attending my grandma's funeral. It was really awful! Now I'm just concentrating on baking for Cookie day and holiday stuff like shopping for my four nieces.
Baking GALS is on facebook now, so if anyone wants to participate it might be a little easier. I think I will volunteer to bake for someone else's team for a while rather than head one up right now but I would love to get back into the organizing of the boxes of love. I know they need it! I don't know the details of this story, but on the news this morning as I was coming home from work, I heard that Obama had rejected ALL of the proposals that the top military gurus had given him about Afganistan. It breaks my heart and makes me sick to think about our hard working military not getting some aid that their top people think is needed! There's not much I can do about that, but I can send cookies and that's what I'm going to do! I hope everyone will take the time to send a care package this season, whether through www.bakingGALS.com or www.anysoldier.com, or any way you like...they really do need our love and what better way to show it than a care package?
Val

No comments: