Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ready, Set, BAKE!!

Okay everyone, the time is here…Today is Oct 29 so we begin shipping tomorrow. That means I have emailed everyone who's a confirmed baker Alex's address, along with info about the custom forms.
Our soldier for this round is SFC Alex Herrera. Alex is a husband and father of two sons. His family lives in the Sterling Heights, Michigan area and are anxious to see him return. This is Alex's fourth tour of duty. He has served our country in Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Iraq. He is a member of the Army. I have sent Alex a letter to let him know our boxes will be arriving shortly, so he and the others serving alongside him will be on the lookout for your goodies!
All of my confirmed bakers should watch their email inboxes for an email from me. It should arrive today (Wednesday the 29th). If you have NOT received the email, contact me at valsteam2060@yahoo.com and I'll try to fix things. Round 4 runs for 12 days so there is still time to get your package out if you want to.
Our mailing dates are between Oct 30 and Nov 10. After you have shipped out your box, please drop me an email to let me know how it went. I'm anxious to hear your stories or see pictures of your baking and boxes! I would love to post them on my blog too. By the way, the little flag cookies next to our team name at baking GALS are a sample of the sugar cookies that Randy and I sent out last round.
If anyone has any problems or questions, please drop me an email and I'll certainly try to help.
PACKING COOKIES: there seems to be a lot of information out there on the net about the best way to pack our goodies. Last round, Randy and I individually wrapped each cookie in cellophane and packed them pretty tightly. This time I think I'm going to cut the bars and then wrap them as sheets to pack more in my box. Some people vacuum seal their cookies, and some pack them in Ziploc containers. The most important thing is that you pack them securely so that they aren't being beat against the side of the box during shipping. If you have extra space in your box, pack it with something soft. I used napkins last round to top off my box, but anything soft that can fill the space will work. Be creative and try to think of something the soldiers can use! If anyone comes up with a great idea, be sure to share it with the rest of us.
****Also, it is a great idea to send a personal note along with the cookies, rather than just an unexplained box!

No comments: