Sunday, November 2, 2008

Recipe # 18 Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut Cookies

Woohoo, got that last one in before midnight so now I only missed two days of recipe posting and I'll be on track again after posting this one :)
This recipe is said to have been "stolen" from Mrs. Fields. I don't know if that's true or not, but they are good enough to have been worth stealing. These have been a family favorite for years and years. I was visiting my cousin the weekend before last and she mentioned that she mixes up a big batch of these, forms them into balls and then keeps the balls in the freezer. She and her husband will pop a few out of the freezer and into the oven for a quick desert. I think that's a great idea and I hope I remember to follow her lead and do the same.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Walnut Cookies

1 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
12 oz chocolate chips
1 1/2 cup chopped nuts (we almost always use walnuts)

Cream the margarine and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in baking powder, baking soda and flour. Mix well. Stir in oatmeal. Gently stir in chocolate chips and nuts.

Roll into large balls (the original recipe says golf-ball sized) and bake on lightly greased baking sheets for about 8-10 minutes at 325 degrees.

No comments: