Monday, November 3, 2008

Recipe # 19 Sugar Plums

And here's Monday's recipe post...now I don't have to stress about this til Tuesday. Oh yeah, and don't forget to VOTE!!

This is a new recipe for Cookie Bake '08. We saw them in a magazine while picking this year's line-up. These ones are a bit of work, but we cut a few of the other time consuming recipes out this year so we decided we could afford the time to give them a try. Believe me, if they don't work out, they'll get cut fast! So far the only problem I see is finding plum flavored jam. I have looked more than once in three different stores and still haven't found it (and of course I put it on my own shopping list....grrrr!). I did find a few recipes on recipezaar for making it, so if it comes down to that I'll have to get my hands on a couple plums and whip some up the day before. Good thing I scheduled cookie day on a Sunday this year!

If anyone has made these or tried anything similar, I welcome your comments and input!

Sugar Plums
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
(*I plan to put the following 3 in the food processor together)
1/2 cup finely chopped raisins
1/2 cup finely chopped dates
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
2 Tablespoons plum jam
6 Tablespoons melted butter
Decorator sugars---your choice. We're using red because our sugar cookies will have green covered.

Beat together the cup of butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Stir. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Combine the finely chopped raisins, dates and pecans with the plum jam.
Break off rounded teaspoonfuls of dough. Form into 3/4 inch balls. Make a deep indentation in each ball. Put a 1/4 teaspoon of plum filling in each dent then pinch closed.
Chill the balls for 1 hour.
Bake on a greased baking sheet at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.
After slightly cooling, but while cookies are still a bit warm, brush with the melted butter and then roll in the decorator sugar to coat. Cool completely before serving.

No comments: